Wednesday, June 15, 2011

And We Have a First Grader...


Okay, this is not exactly new news, since Caleb's last day of kindergarten was a week and a half ago, but I am a little behind on the ole blog...again.  I am still not sure how this "first grader" news is settling with Momma, either, but this is just another part of life and I have discovered that little boys just continue to grow, even when we want to put a brick on their heads and say "STOP! This is going too fast."  Luckily, this big guy is still quite of fan of cuddling with his momma, so I will hold on to THAT for as long as I can!




Kindergarten was a blast!  There is just no other way to describe it!  There were just so many fun things Caleb's school and class did that made it truly a special experience.  He made some wonderful friendships with some really great kiddos and actually learned to sit still for longer than five minutes.  Now that is truly amazing!  And God gave Caleb the best teacher He could have for Caleb's personality and learning style. We had prayed for her long before we knew she would be Caleb's teacher and God was everso faithful in providing.   Mrs. Genoble was fun, but firm.  Organized, but flexible.  She allowed them to grow, develop, and express themselves, but kept them within the appropriate boundaries.  Her focus was not only on her students growing academically, but mostly on them growing in character. She knew her students well and was able to teach to them at whatever level they were at and expected from them, what she knew they were capable of giving.  And nothing less, which I truly appreciated.  She is not the picture of the warm and fuzzy kindergarten teacher, but that does not lessen her devotion and love for her students.  She is is an exceptional educator who has expectations for her students and helps them achieve their goals and in many cases, go beyond what they even thought they were capable of.  That is an awesome teacher!  And we were so blessed to have her, along with a couple of wonderful, dedicated teacher assistants, Mrs. Burford and Mrs. Miller.

The last days of kindergarten were filled with lots of exciting times and celebrations.  There was actually no kindergarten graduation or ceremony, but instead they did some pretty cool farewell to Kindergarten activities and parties.  Which I think was a better fit for a bunch of wiggly, active six-year-olds.  The Kindergarten Rodeo was part of the end of year festivities, along with the Kindergarten water party.  Both were so much fun for the kiddos...and the parents, too.







At the final P.R.I.D.E. time school assembly, Caleb was honored with the Trustworthiness award for Mrs. Genoble's class.  Each Kindergartener, at some point during the year, was recognized for a character trait that shone in them.   I couldn't think of a better character award for Caleb. 



What a fun year!!  Goodbye for now, Kindergarten.  Although Caleb will be moving on, Seth is well on his way to "Kindergarten school".   We can't wait to see you again in a year and a half!!  But not too fast.  We will do our best to take our time getting there.

No comments: