Sunday, June 26, 2011

And A Little Pre-Father's Day Celebrating, Too.


I was so happy that I got to spend a pre-Father's Day weekend with my dad this year.  Dad, Sheila, Becky, and Bill all made the trip down the weekend before Father's Day, which meant that we got to spend two weekends celebrating a couple of great Dads. 

Two of the things my dad and I really connect on are UK basketball and yard sales. Interesting combination, right? Oh, we can spend an entire phone conversation discussing the Cats and how well or not well they played their last game.  Yep, I love to give or hear a good commentary on the Big Blue.  I think that may be why Eric married me.

We also enjoy hunting down a bargain together.  Dad has a lot of yard sale stamina, which is a must for a trek out with me.  He is always up for finding just one. more. sale.

Well, since it is the off-season, we spent the Saturday morning sharing the latter of our favorites...yard saling (or is it selling?  I never know).  It was a great morning for it, too.  Too bad there weren't any neighborhood sales that morning, but we certainly made the best of it.

And by the end of the day, we discovered another thing we have in common...our love for GoodWill.  After all of the yard sale fun, we came home for lunch, played with the boys, and  had a rest, and then we made our way over to GoodWill to check things out.  I LOVE A BARGAIN!  I just can't say it enough.  And  so does Dad.   However, you have to know how to shop GoodWill to make the most of it.  You can't rush a productive GoodWill trip and we certainly proved that.  We spent TWO HOURS in GoodWill.  How in the world did we manage to do that?  Well, for starters, Eric was on-call all day, so the little Workmans stayed home with him, or else our little trip into the depths of GoodWill would have been much shorter lived.  We were able to have complete focus on our bargain mission, without having to keep track of those adorable, high energy little people we so dearly love.

Secondly, since there were no short attention spans to contend with, we were able to take our time and find the good stuff.  I love how our Good Will is so organized and color coded.  It makes it so much easier.  I often find clothes with the tags still on them.  Love it!  I think the five of us who went hit jackpot.  But we should have.  After all, we did spend two hours of our life in there.

Well, all of us had luck...except for Dad.  I did buy him an army hat that he liked and a hat washing apparatus, so hopefully that was some consolation.

Our adventure definitely left us in need of nourishment.  Dad got to choose our dining destination, since after all, we were celebrating him.  (Eric got his Father's Day Chuy's fix later in the week, so all bases were covered)  So, we swung by the house to pick up the Workman boys, and headed to Red Lobster.  It was a nice dinner with the entire crew.

Our evening was capped off with a little Rook...another favorite that Dad and I share.  This, of course, made my hubby ever so happy, too, because for some reason we have very few friends here who enjoy playing cards (Gasp!), so we must go long stretches between our Rook fixes.  I also never knew Becky had such mad Rook playing skills.  Which totally rocked, because she was my partner.  Woot!  Aside from the dads getting beat by the sisters, I think it was a pretty fun ending to a busy, bargain filled day!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love ROOK too. We must get together and grab a fourth person sometime to play!!! Then you won't have to wait for your fam to come down from KY~!~~
- Laurie