From our bed, Eric and I have a clear shot into our bathroom. So, when Caleb, who has no scruples about peeing in front of anyone and rarely ever shuts the bathroom door while doing any business in there, bounced off the bed and announced that he had to use the potty, we simply looked the other direction to give him privacy. However, when he didn't return after the five seconds that it usually takes him to potty and wash hands, we took a look in. There he was standing in much concentration over the potty. After about another minute, he started slapping at his bottom saying, "Come on, come on." I guess it worked, because the stream started flowing and our four-year-old could carry on with his day.
Seth has just recently started showing interest in the potty. I don't think he is anywhere near ready to start training, but he gets really excited to just sit on the potty (usually fully clothed) for a few seconds, flush, put the lid down, and then wash his hands. The whole routine makes him feel like such a big boy. My personal hope is that big brother will do most of the actual potty training, but for now Seth is enjoying this little introduction phase. Any actual progress would be a big bonus at this point.
One day this week while changing his diaper, Seth was adamant that he had to go "pee pee" and kept pointing toward the bathroom, so I placed him bare-bottomed and all smiles on the potty. For one small glimmer of a moment, I thought he might actually potty there. Caleb followed us into the bathroom and was cheering Sethie on. After about a minute, Caleb started patting Seth on the back. I asked Caleb what he was doing and without hesitation he responded, "I am giving him a jump start! It works for me!"
It didn't work this time for little brother, but maybe that will be a tool we can use in the future. Thanks Biz!!
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing, this made me laugh out loud. Caleb has the funniest ideas :)
Post a Comment