Friday, October 24, 2008

Famously Hot

Caleb's vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds. Some of the words that he spouts off to me on a daily basis amaze me. I just crack up hearing some of those big words come out of the little body. I must give some credit to shows like Word Girl and Martha Speaks on PBS, because that is one of the goals of the shows-to introduce new and bigger words to youngsters. It is fun to hear Caleb try out his new vocabulary and most of the time he uses the words correctly and sounds oh so sophisticated...for a four year old.

Minor communication glitches arise when he latches on to a new favorite word and doesn't quite use it correctly. It is actually really cute. The current favorite, incorrectly defined word, in Caleb's repertoire is "famous". Caleb is adamant that the definition of the word famous is hot. When I was preparing his lunch one day this week, he called into the kitchen, "Make sure my food is famous, Mommy." At dinner last night he wanted me to make sure that the cornbread was famous. Recently, when he and Daddy were having a guy's night at Logan's, he informed Daddy that he wanted to eat famous, hot hamburgers.

We aren't quite sure where he came up with this definition, but he is not budging. Eric thinks he saw a commercial advertising, "famous hot rolls," and from that he discerned that famous must also mean hot. I think he got it from the Famous Dave's sign that has flames on it. Who knows?! And it doesn't really matter, because for now I will give up trying to change that precious little stubborn mind and let him figure it out for himself.

No comments: