Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thirteen Thanksgivings



 
Happy Thanksgiving!!
 
 
No, we are not in Asheville, but today one of the things I am most thankful for is that in July, we celebrated ten years of our marriage covenant and took an anniversary trip in August to Asheville, North Carolina and the Biltmore Estate.  We had such a great trip, and today I am just so thankful to be celebrating my thirteenth Thanksgiving with my best friend. 



Yeah, he is pretty awesome!  He has been such a support and encouragement to me, in ways that I never imagined.  He continues to be my heart's greatest earthly desire.   He is funny, patient, kind, wise, hard working and being around him makes me want to be a better person.  He encourages me to grow deeper in my relationship with Christ, and I am so honored to be his wife.  I am humbled that God would choose to bless me beyond measure with Eric.

So, spending my thirteenth Thanksgiving with him is such a sweet blessing.  We have grown so much together and learned so much in our journey since that very first Thanksgiving together back in 2000.  I even remember what I was wearing when Eric picked me up at Becky's house in Berea, in his green camaro, to take me to my first official holiday gathering with the Workman/Denton family.  (It was a yellow sweater and black skirt, if anyone is wondering.)  I remember being a little nervous, but so super excited that Eric was including me in his family gathering.  We had been dating for a little over two months, and I was already head over heels for him at this point.  Being included in the holiday festivities sort of solidified that our relationship was, indeed, a relationship. 

I had such a good time with his family that day.  I had already somewhat gotten to know his Mom, Dad, and brother on previous occasions, but this was my first opportunity to meet and spend time with his wonderful Uncle Greg, his spiritual mentor, whom Eric was always speaking so highly about, and his sweet family. Yeah, they were as great as Eric had said they were.  You really can't help but love all of Eric's family and feel instantly at home with them.

After dinner, I remember we spent much of our time playing with Bret and Jeana (who were pretty close to the ages that Caleb and Seth are now...crazy) in the basement.   We were wrestling with them and flipping them all around the place.  I quickly realized that a skirt was not the best choice for these gatherings.  But it was a lot of fun. 

I am thankful that from that point on, I became fixture at all of Eric's family gatherings, which have now become our family gatherings.






 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So, I am so very thankful this Thanksgiving! Thankful for this trip to Asheville and what it represents.  I am thankful for that first Thanksgiving we spent together with Eric's family, for celebrating the holiday together today with our little family, and for all of the other adventures we have had in between.  
 
Here's to many, many more Thanksgivings together.
 
I love you, honey!

No comments: