I am loving this spring-like weather. I really hope it lasts. The boys and I went for a walk today around our neighborhood. It was a lot of fun watching the boys, especially Seth, who has now graduated from being pulled in the wagon during our journeys to full-fledged walking and exploring on his own. He was very happy with his new freedom! And I found it both funny and interesting to observe the little things that he did...all those instincts that kick in once a little guy is in the great outdoors. Some of it he has learned from watching his brother on many, many walks before, but I also think a lot of it can be attributed to that Y chromosome.
Three things that I was reminded of while on our walk:
1. A boy must have a stick when embarking on any journey. Be it across the sidewalk or a mile walk down the road, a boy knows that a stick must be the first thing he obtains for the hike and it must be chosen wisely. Usually at least twice his own height and a danger to anyone who is not paying close attention when he swings around quickly due to his attention being grabbed by a big truck driving by.
2. When walking near a body of water, no matter what the size, a rock must immediately be located and thrown into that body of water. Multiple times. Little boys DO NOT tire of this activity and must be pulled away by an even more enticing thrill...like a playground or an airplane in the sky. Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't and then he must be dragged kicking and screaming away from the body of water. However, the rant usually only lasts long enough for his eye to be caught by a bird or a squirrel, and then it is happy trails again.
3. If there are two path options, the one that offers a bridge to run back and forth across, will always be the clear winner. But one must be careful, because if he spots a rock, then it is back to number 2 all over again.
I was so sad that I did not take my camera on our walk today, because I missed a lot of great photo ops. However, I did want to post one of my favorite recent pictures of the boys. It isn't very spring-like since the boys are in sweaters, but I think it is a great shot.
Happy Monday!!

1 comment:
You are a good story teller, I like how you brought #3, back around to #2.
Post a Comment