Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Morning Escape

This morning I awoke to the sound of little footsteps...footsteps too small to have gotten out of their crib on their own. It didn't take long for my brain to catch up with what was happening, as I heard a robust four-year-old voice shouting, "Mom! I helped Seth out of his crib." And a joyful nearly two-year-old voice proudly singing, "Hi Momma! Wook at me!"

Mystery solved.

For the past month or so, Caleb has been able to "help" his little brother out of crib. A skill that he is quite proud of and one that we had to quickly put some restrictions on. I can't even explain how he maneuvers Seth's body over the crib rails without anyone screaming or getting hurt, but he has perfected his surprisingly gentle technique. I admit that I am impressed with Caleb's ingenuity. It has come in handy a few times, but Caleb has been informed that he is not allowed to do it WITHOUT PERMISSION.

This morning, he forgot.

After showing off his freedom, Seth set off for a day of playing. Caleb snuggled up in the bed beside me and the following conversation was had:

Mommy: Caleb, did you get your brother out of bed?

Caleb: Yes, Mommy.

Mommy: Did you have permission?

Caleb: No, I am sorry. I just couldn't control myself.


At this point, I could only laugh. Oh, sweet boy, how I can relate!
It reminds me of my own sinful nature and how I have been trying to overcome some negative behaviors in my life that I seem to not be able to "control" at times. There is one particular behavior that I have been trying to defeat for quite some time, to no avail. When I was finally at the point of banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why I kept doing the same thing over and over again, God revealed to me that I was trying to "overcome my sin" in my own strength, not His. In fact, I can not overcome sin at all. That job has already been accomplished on the cross. By my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. And that is why I need Him every minute of the day. In my strength, I can do nothing, but in His, I can walk in freedom. My prayer is for my boys to know this truth (hopefully early in life) and know that they have a Savior, one who took on the sin of the world and WON! May they learn to walk with the Lord and live by His strength. And may I do the same.

Praise Jesus!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you are a sneaky one Amy! I started off all amused and giggling and ended up all teary and moved. Its amazing how much God can teach us as we try to teach our children.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Great story and wonderful Savior :)f